Welcome to my random muses of being an aspiring banjo player, a Battalion Commander, a student of Army War College, and my admiring observations of Soldiers. It's all to the tune of yet another deployment to this country called Iraq.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Workouts with Bridget Jones's Diary


"The benefits of education and of useful knowledge, generally diffused
through a community, are essential to the preservation of a free government."
-
Sam Houston
The passing of Independence Day Weekend came with little fanfare here. After our activities of July 2nd, the normal mission requirements once again assumed their usual place in our routines. That's a fancy way of me saying that our pause was brief and we immediately got back to work. As the temperature soars to midsummer Iraqi highs, our OPTEMPO only becomes more furious. At times it seems chaotic but it really isn't. There is sense, order, rhyme and reason to everything we do. Some of it may not make sense at the moment the order is dispensed but it all shakes out in the end. As leaders we move forward and always do our best to keep everyone in the Battalion completely informed. It is essential that all of our Soldiers know the who, what when, where and why of all we do. This also serves the purpose of keeping the rumors at bay. A rumor, such as "when we're going home" or "where we're moving to when Speicher closes" can really crush morale if it is allowed to go unchecked. I've got a standing policy that says "If I didn't say it then it ain't happening." Only verified information is allowed to be broadcast in my Battalion. Keeping everyone focused on our mission is critical to our success. We simply don't have time for rumors.



Although work occupies most of our time, we do find time for other endeavors. Our existence is pretty spartan but we do have a great gym and mess hall. It's safe to say that the normal activities of anyone here are to work, workout, eat and sleep. I make time for practicing banjo and, when requirements are due, Army War College. The gym is a must for the daily routine. A good workout is refreshing to the body, mind and spirit. The main gym here at Speicher has the unique quality of having been a gym all along. It's a brick facility with full court basketball including bleachers, cardio rooms, and a spacious weightlifting area. There are TV's in every room. The staff that keeps the gym clean and operational consists of TCN's (Third Country Nationals). In the case of the gym, the TCN's are primarily Pakistanis. They do a great job of keeping up the gym but I can never figure their strange choices for television programming. The majority of the time they keep the TVs on an AFN movie channel. This caused the gym to take on a surreal atmosphere on a recent workout. As I walked in I noticed the TV at the front desk was showing "Bridget Jones's Diary" - a movie I have never seen nor have any interest in whatsoever. The volume was turned up loud. The TCN's were riveted. I didn't think much of it until I continued into the gym and realized every single TV was set to this pukefest chickflick. As with the front desk, every TV's volume was up. What really struck me as odd at this point is that nobody seemed to mind. Burly Soldiers were pumping iron and pausing between sets to watch. I blotted out the image as best I could but it was impossible for the "Twilight Zone" moment to be missed entirely. I was reminded of a visit a few years ago to Randolph, MA and a restaurant I forever will refer to as "Twin Peaks Pizzeria." In a similar image of questionable testosterone, I walked in this place on a Monday night during football season to find all the "men" at the bar watching Lifetime Channel. Ugh, these strange images seem to follow me and pay visits at unexpected places and times. Somehow, over the sappy lines and bad acting of Hugh Grant and Rene Zellweger I was able to get my workout in. I then left the gym scratching my head in wonder.



And so it is with another day in the books here in the heat, dust and wind of a land of whimsical ironies. Through all this we press forward. I try to encourage everyone not to have blinders on. We're all going to want to swap stories about this stuff some day. I try to see it all, comprehend it, and keep it stored for future use. These various deployments of mine have been one far out, fantastical trip. There's no doubt about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment