Welcome to my random muses of being an aspiring banjo player, a Battalion Commander, a student of Army War College, and my admiring observations of Soldiers. It's all to the tune of yet another deployment to this country called Iraq.

Monday, July 4, 2011

First came the cheerleaders, then came the coaches



"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the
protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our
Fortunes, and our Sacred Honor."
- the final sentence of the Declaration of
Independence


"Believe me dear Sir: there is not in the British Empire a man who more
cordially loves a union with Great Britain than I do. But , by the God that made
me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the
British Parliament propose; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of
America."
- Thomas Jefferson, the primary author of the Declaration of
Independence
There is nothing that invokes a more patriotic feeling than being forward deployed in a combat zone with the men and women with whom I presently serve. I had barely recovered from my return travel from Carlisle Barracks when 4th of July weekend was upon us. It's actually funny to think of it as a weekend. We worked for the most part, as mission always comes first. The war does not wait for celebrations or recognition of our Nation's 235th birthday. We did find time to mark the significant moment and reflect on our reasons for serving. Saturday provided the most opportunity for us to come together as a Battalion. It started with a visit by four celebrated NFL coaches. Jim Mora Sr, Jim Mora Jr, Ken Whisenhunt, and Gary Kubiak stopped by our HQ and spent well over an hour with our Soldiers, climbing all over a Maxxpro MRAP, signing autographs, and asking all of us questions. They were like little kids playing on the equipment. Yet, they were very articulate and focused in their attention to detail. I had a few extra minutes with them in my office and rather than me asking them questions about football they were asking me questions about my Soldiers, our Battalion, and our Mission. They were completely honored to be among us. We were thankful they came. Of course, the most repeated question from all of us was whether or not there would be an NFL season this fall. Their answers were encouraging. Soldiers completely love NFL football and the excitement of the games gives an extra boost to morale. Eventually, the time came for them to move on to their next stop on COB Speicher. We gave them a ride in an MRAP. Upon learning we were giving them a ride in the MRAP, Jim Mora Jr exclaimed, "Really? SWEEEET!"



Later on July 2nd we held our Battalion Organizational Day. Essentially, it was a brief pause for all of our available Soldiers to get together and enjoy fun, food and fellowship. We served up a feast of BBQ ribs, fried chicken, hamburgers, and a dizzying array of fixin's. Despite having many out on mission, we had a huge turnout. At the start of it all I said a few words. Here it was Independence Day Weekend and we were celebrating on July 2nd. How could I make sense of that? I asked if anyone in the crowd was from Philadelphia. A couple of hands went up. I asked those Soldiers if it was hot this time of year in Philadelphia. Of course it's hot. That established, I asked for everyone to think back exactly 235 years and imagine a small, stuffy building in which the 56 delegates from the 13 Colonies had gathered. There was no air conditioning. The men had debated for several days in secrecy, for fear of being discovered - their actions were treason to the Crown. In that stifling, stuffy room these men came to an agreement and drafted one of the most eloquent documents in the history of mankind. It was on July 2, 1776 that the Continental Congress voted to declare independence. The wording of the declaration was approved on July 4th. Shifting gears, I had everyone adjust their imagination to 148 years ago to a place called Little Round Top. On July 2, 1863 this insignificant hill represented the exposed extreme left flank of the Union Army at Gettysburg. The 20th Maine, under the command of Colonel Joshua Chamberlain, had been ordered to secure the hill - even as Confederates of Robert E. Lee's army converged. Soon out of ammunition, outnumbered, and facing another onslaught from the tough Alabama troops advancing on them, Colonel Chamberlain ordered his men to fix bayonets. They then executed the reverse of a maneuver known as "refuse the flank" and did so to perfection. The "swinging gate" of the Maine Regiment caught the Alabama troops advancing uphill completely by surprise. The left flank of the Union line was secured. It was practically a miracle pulled off by the audacity, initiative, and inspired leadership that symbolizes the traditions of our Army. And it all happened on July 2nd.



By the time I was finished I think everyone was ready to see me get wet in the dunking booth we had secured from MWR. Not only did many take a crack at me, they got my CSM wet as well. It was a fun night and, for many of us, a time to forget about where we were for just a little while. As the event wound down several us loitered over a few cigars around our makeshift firepit. It was midnite before I was back in my CHU. Cigars and near-beer had to suffice. Sunday morning we were right back at work. Convoys were on the road and I was reminded how resilient Soldiers really are. Yes, we miss our families but, then again, we are family. Our motto is "Mission First, Soldiers Always" and to that aim we remain true. To echo the words of those brave men who risked all 235 years ago, to each other we pledge "our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." And to everyone back in the land that we love so dearly we wish you all a very happy 4th of July. Happy Birthday America!

No comments:

Post a Comment