Welcome to my random muses of being an aspiring banjo player, a Battalion Commander, a student of Army War College, and my admiring observations of Soldiers. It's all to the tune of yet another deployment to this country called Iraq.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Cigars, firepits and fake beer



"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself. I am large. I
contain multitudes."
- Walt Whitman
General Order #1 has often been a recipient of my ire. By that, I mean in my written muses - both here and on previous deployments. It's an extensive order that bans a number of things from use, sale, ownership or otherwise mentioning while we are here. Very few of us could actually quote the items listed in GO#1 that are off-limits. But all of us can name the one thing banned that we normally crave the most - alcoholic beverages. For the most part, I'm ok with GO#1. Living without real beer is difficult though. My refrigerator back home is almost always stocked with Yuengling Lager. When I'm out I always savor the fine crafted texture of a premium brew on draft. My taste can vary from domestic lager (Yuengling, Shiner Bock or other equivalent) to Belgian Ales (Leffe Blonde, Duval, Chimay in any color). Around here, though, our only options are two types of fake beer - O'Douls or Astra. Of the two, O'Douls tastes the most like a beer and with a lemon slice can almost pass as a Bud Light Lime (something I would NEVER drink back home unless there was no other option). Astra is a terrible "malt beverage" that, surprisingly enough, is made in Germany. My motto for this disgusting drink is, "If it tastes like ass it must be Astra!" With all that said, O'Douls is in high demand and frequently runs out at the DFAC. It is sad to admit that I would throw out my taste for the finer flavors of beer just to have a skunky Budweiser here in Iraq. It's not going to happen though so we'll make do with the fake stuff.


In spite of our lack of intoxicating spirits, we adapt and make the best of everything. My CSM had a makeshift firepit installed inside the T-walled compound that is our HQ. The FOB is closing down and there is an abundance of scrap lumber. Burning it in the firepit is a much more aesthetically soothing way to dispose of what would otherwise be considered trash. In that regard, we are doing our part in assisting the FOB initiative "Operation Clean Sweep." With our firepit built and supplied with a steady stream of wood, we now have the venue to let down our collars and blow a little steam from time to time. Cigar smokers come out of the woodwork on deployment. Personally, I enjoy a fine cigar but rarely smoke them back home. I never have any problem getting one here. It's a safe bet that I'm on at least a two cigar a week roll at this point. When time permits and OPTEMPO doesn't dictate otherwise, you can find my CSM and me out by the firepit in the evening. These firepit discussions over cigars are when my staff, company commanders and others truly air out their ideas. The combination of cigars, fake beer, and crackling firepit seems to bring out the true personalities of my cast of characters. We almost forget that the beer is fake - almost that is.

We've got many a firepit night to go around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment