Welcome to my random muses of being an aspiring banjo player, a Battalion Commander, a student of Army War College, and my admiring observations of Soldiers. It's all to the tune of yet another deployment to this country called Iraq.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Without Joe nothing happens



"Leadership is intangible, and therefore no weapon ever designed can
replace it."
- Omar Bradley


Politicians make speeches and fight over policy. Generals plot strategies and plan the big picture. Eventually those policies and strategies will merge and filter down to form the backbone of what a unit in the field will be given as its mission. But nothing happens at all until the Soldiers at the point of the spear take action. That's when the execution phase of the mission overcomes the force of inertia and becomes a dynamic force that will overcome all. These young men and women, led by people barely older than they are, set forth and apply their individual skills in a medley of teamwork that is more finely tuned than Lombardi's Green Bay Packers. Every time these Soldiers strap on their gear, mount their machines, and move outside the wire they perform as though its their very own Super Bowl. The difference is that they play the Super Bowl every single day. They win every single day. Each game is one more step towards mission success. At the Soldier level mission success means one thing - accomplish all your assigned tasks and bring everyone home safely when you're done. To that aim they stay focused, ever diligent, and steadfast.

Another huge sandstorm was brewing as I drove out to the staging lanes to watch one of my convoys line up for a night push to a distant FOB. With visibility dropping down to about 150 yards, the Soldiers did all their pre-combat checks and inspections. One of the trucks had a class 2 leak spring in the hydraulics of its heavy trailer. I climbed under the trailer with the Soldiers to watch them work without complaint. With the professionalism of a NASCAR pit crew they stopped the leak. There was no way they were going to sit out this convoy and let their team down. As the sandstorm intensified they gathered around for the convoy briefing. I was honored when the convoy commander asked me to say a few words. I kept it very brief and focused on them. The team that wins is the one that executes the basics better than anyone else on every play. That's what these Soldiers do.


Just like clockwork - another convoy made SP. I stood and watched and waved at every single truck. The drivers honked their horns. Every so many vehicles one of the convoy security MRAPs would nestle in between the big trucks. To some people this would seem an easy thing to do. I'd like to see them try. I have an entire staff that plans every one of these convoys days in advance. There are so many moving pieces. I never worry though because when all is said and done I know these plucky, trusty teenagers and twenty-somethings will be on time and on target. The NCO's and junior Officers that lead them are confident and sure. Hell it's a Friday night! This convoy is where the party is tonight. No adrenaline rush back home can compare. Many years from now everyone will be glad they were a part of this. I know I am. We are making a difference. It may be a forgotten war back home but it is still at the forefront of our efforts. Iraq is a place where we are winning. We're keeping it that way on our watch.

And then came some time off. It was just for a few hours but it was well spent. I stopped by the HQ and billets of one of the truck companies. The "Border Bandits" from Brownsville, TX were playing basketball and grilling steaks. Latin beat filled the air. If I closed my eyes I could've sworn I was actually spending the late afternoon on the border in Brownsville. Then I opened my eyes and noticed there was no cerveza or tequila. The steaks were excellent. The basketball was bruising and entertaining. The Soldiers forgot about the war for a little while. Tomorrow they'll be back at it. I went back to my room and strummed my banjo for an hour or so. I'll be back at it tomorrow too.



No comments:

Post a Comment