Welcome to my random muses of being an aspiring banjo player, a Battalion Commander, a student of Army War College, and my admiring observations of Soldiers. It's all to the tune of yet another deployment to this country called Iraq.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Are we heroes?

"Being a hero is about the shortest-lived profession on earth." - Will
Rogers


Back home everyone calls us heroes. There's certainly nothing wrong with that at all. The irony is that we don't think of ourselves as heroes. I've never seen a single man or woman in uniform jump up and claim to be a hero. Must of us would just say we're doing our job, that's all. Some people believe that humility doesn't exist anymore. They are wrong - it exists in every Soldier. Quite frankly, I am made humble every day by the accomplishments of these men and women. They work without complaint in ungodly temperatures, unforgiving extremes, and incredibly spartan surroundings. At every turn they look out for one another and never exhibit selfishness. As time goes by here they become closer to one another than they are with their families back home. They roll outside the wire to stare death in the eye with broad grins on their faces. Then they come back and sleep like babies before doing it all over again. Yet none of them consider themselves heroes. But I can say without hesitation that the words of Henry V resonate with all of us -"And gentlemen now a-bed in England shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhood cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day." But if anyone asks me when I get home if I am a hero I will say no. As MAJ Dick Winters said, "I'm not a hero, but I served in the company of heroes."


Every day is getting hotter. May is winding down. Soon it will actually be summer and in Iraq that means temperatures that are practically unbearable. I'm not certain how to describe the heat to folks back home. If you'd like to get an idea of how hot it really does get here then the closest example can be created using your oven. Put it on broil. Give it about ten minutes so there's no question it is at maximum output. Open the door and put your head right next to the opening. That's a reasonable facsimile of Iraqi summer heat. Now imagine wearing about another 100 pounds of gear, a full load of ammunition, and your weapon. Before you start worrying about us just remember that we are trained for this. It doesn't make it any more comfortable though.


Oh one other thing, it isn't a dry heat either. It's a heavy, humid heat with no rain in sight. And into this summer my Soldiers will drive on and move mountains. I am confident of that. They are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment