Welcome to my random muses of being an aspiring banjo player, a Battalion Commander, a student of Army War College, and my admiring observations of Soldiers. It's all to the tune of yet another deployment to this country called Iraq.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Time to Mourn, A Time to Continue Mission

"God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless." - Chester W. Nimitz

There are very few higher callings in life than serving our Nation. Within the fabric that makes our military great is something not readily apparent to those who've never served. To some it may not be apparent at all. But to those of us who do serve it is the very glue that holds our ranks together. For when one answers the call to serve the country, he discovers that it is really about serving each other. Soldiers love their country. But Soldiers serve for each other above all else. This is the answer to the mystery of why we serve. There is no greater camaraderie than what the men and women in our military find within their ranks. We all enter the military as strangers. But people who train together, sweat together, sacrifice together, work together, bleed together, rejoice together, and mourn together will become closer to one another than to even their own families. We are a team, we are will willing die for one another to see our mission succeed. Above all else, we trust each other. We do not ever sit around and discuss politics, debate the merits of our mission, or second-guess our orders. Instead we check our left and right limits, keep our machinery running in top condition, inspect ourselves and each other, and then move out with focused precision. When we have time to relax we laugh at ourselves, we talk of home, we workout, we swap notes on football, and anything else you might expect us to do. Then we strap on our gear without complaint and go out and do it all again - never, ever skipping a beat or taking a shortcut. And we do it for each other. Together we serve our Nation. But in doing so we become family. We will internalize our love for one another and our shared experiences for the rest of our lives. When we see each other again, many years from now, we will embrace with tears and with the vigor of our youth as the fire returns to our eyes. For we may all go on to accomplish great tasks and endeavors, but here on the fields of battle is where our hearts and minds will always recall our greatest moments of service. For the rest of my life and beyond I will always be thankful that when it was my time I answered my Nation's call. I serve in the company of heroes.


The past ten days have been a difficult period for many of the Warriors in my Battalion. We lost one of our own. I have watched these grown men and women openly weep and embrace one another. There is no shame in their eyes. Heroes know that tears for our comrades flow from the heart. We know there is a time to mourn and we do not pass on that opportunity. The window of time to mourn quickly closes for us. We have a mission to perform. So it was that within 24 hours of losing one of our own that our convoys were back on the road. God I could not be more proud of my Warriors. They range in ages from 18-58. They come from all backgrounds, races and religions. But they all bleed red for each other. And I trust them with any mission. We never left the fight in order to mourn. But if anyone thinks that they can have no doubt now that we are seeing to our business, watching out for each other, and moving mountains together.


I would proudly serve with these men and women any time, any place. Being a Commander is an easy experience with such Soldiers as I am blessed to lead. This past week has been the most trying collection of days I've ever had in my time of service. But it has also shown me once again the resiliency of Soldiers and reaffirmed everything that is dear to me about why I serve. I serve for them. Mission First! Soldiers Always!

No comments:

Post a Comment